Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Honeymoon, day 1

So far, so good. It's always hard to tell if the first day of school is a very good indication of how angelic students will be next week. I have one Level II class that I can tell is going to be a little rowdy unless I can scare a couple of them away.

Here are the last two days in a nutshell:

-Golfing student enters room. "Hey! I have to leave early so I can eat before my game. Hey!"

-More students than I can count--"Where's computer tech? It's NOT in this room?" (It took some of them a good five minutes to figure out that having the manual alphabet on their desks and a big notice on the board: Welcome to Sign I meant that they were in the wrong class. In their defense, there was an error on a lot of the schedules that went out.)

-The kid named Kip. I've never had a Kip before. The students were supposed to write their first and last names on name cards. I went around taking roll, checking spelling of names, etc. and this kid has just "Kip" written on his, when everyone else followed directions and had a first and last name written down. I assume he's being a smart aleck and a Napoleon Dynamite wanna-be, and ask him: "So really, what's your name?" Ooops. Open mouth, insert foot.

-A vice principal willing to make a fool out of himself for us. Thank you, Nick! We couldn't have made our video for Friday's assembly without you. Well, I guess we could have, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as funny.

-Kids with weird names. Parents, do your kids a favor. Give them a name that anyone can spell and pronounce, and call them by their first name.

The voice-off thing to start class off went really well. I don't know why I haven't done it sooner. It worked beautifully. I'm hoping it's a prelude for things to come.

3 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I second the vote for un-weird names. I saw a baby named Peridot recently. Cute, I suppose. Just not my cup of tea.

I have to say that I laughed out loud over Kip. Poor kid. His name was bad enough, then Napoleon came along...

Rip Curl Mom said...

I had a friend in high school named Kip. I never really got over the fact that I thought it sounded like a name for a pet, not a kid! Oh well.

Sabrina said...

I am totally with ya on the weird name thing. That's why I intentionally picked classic, familiar names for my kids that are gender specific, so there's no guessing how to pronounce it or whether it's a boy or girl. If I had to go back, I probably would have spelled Rebekah's name more traditionally - I didn't know how hard her spelling would be for people.

I can't figure out why some people are intent on inventing new names for their kids! I mean, the names sound kind of cool sometimes, but the poor kids are going to spend their entire lives pronouncing their names for people and helping others spell their names and stuff. (I recently met someone named "Mirrel" - don't know how to spell it, but that's how you pronounce it. Pretty name, but it took me weeks and several conversations with her about her name, to finally figure out what her name was!) Doesn't seem worth it, just to be original.