So, my amazing sister Emily is one of the more talented people in the world. Seriously. She's a gifted musician, and can play at least 6 instruments. I still remember one day when we were both living together going to college. I had a piece of music I had been working on for quite a while that was pretty technically challenging. After weeks of work, it was starting to sound a little closer to something someone might actually want to listen to. She came strolling through while I was practicing, and asked what I was working on. I showed her, and she asked me if she could borrow my violin for a minute (not her primary instrument--she plays the viola). My jaw dropped as she breezed through the piece of music, making it sound better than I ever had.
Anyway, Emily has always been one to get involved in musical things, and even though she is in med school has still found a way to get her music fix. Her recent gig has been singing with the Salt Lake Choral Artists. We went to a performance they did in November, and thoroughly enjoyed it. When we found out they were putting on a Christmas program, we jumped at the chance to go. I had never heard of Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Hodie" before, but figured it would be good based on prior experience. It was amazing! I now have a new piece of music to add to my "must listen to during Christmas" list. Thanks, Emily! We had a lot of fun.
2 comments:
Geez, I feel like a dork now, after reading about how I played the song you were learning on your violin. Oh well. Anyway I am glad you liked Hodie! I had never heard it before either but absolutely fell in love with it. It may even surpass Handel's Messiah for me. Anyway you guys are great fans!
There was nothing dorky about that! It just increased my admiration for you. =)
Post a Comment