Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lists

I grew up with lists. The kind on a yellow pad, with my dad's distinctive handwriting. They would have things like:

61st street building:
-mow
-edge
-pick up the bucket of plumbing parts in the shed to leave at Ralston Road building
-pick up trash
-knock on #6, and give Bob Smith a letter

etc, etc.

Theses lists were my dad's way of making sure everything got taken care of when he sent his teenage work crew out to make the rounds of the apartment buildings he owns and maintains. Often, a trip that would be promised to last "a couple of hours" would stretch out long into the afternoon and evening. (It wasn't until I started working at McDonald's, and people would ask for "a couple of hamburgers" that I realized that "couple" meant "two.")

Last week, I made a list for myself of things to do on President's Day. I'm still not done with my list. Ryan says I get it from my dad.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Fond memories! My favorite part about those lists is how he would write the same things every week on mow rounds that I'd been doing all summer - just in case I forgot to mow, edge, pick up trash. :)

Nurse Heidi said...

Somehow, I never equated my list fetish with the yellow pads...ding ding ding! The light just came on!

Pretty sure "pick up trash" was my least favorite list regular.

Amy said...

Smile. Fond memories. Glad I'm not the only list addict.