I'm still chipping away at The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's been a very thought-provoking and enjoyable read. I have now decided to buy 500 acres of land somewhere and start a self-sustainable farm with cows, chickens, grass, and produce. Just kidding. What it has really inspired me to do, is to research viable options for eating locally produced food. In the book, Michael Pollen spends a week on Polyface Farm in Virginia that does its best to buck the industrialized way of producing and distributing food. In doing so, it is also able to produce food of a highly superior quality that you can't find in any grocery store--be it Walmart or Whole Foods. It made me want to move to Virginia.
After deciding that moving to Virginia probably isn't too practical, I spent a little time digging around online for places around here that make that kind of food accessible. It just so happens that next week is a big celebration hoo-rah for locally produced food and businesses in Utah. After looking around on that site a bit, I found a link to a CSA (community supported agriculture) in Utah that makes food drops to several locations around the Wasatch Front to people who subscribe to their service. You pay the money up front for the year, but then all season get to have farm-fresh, pesticide-free food. It looks very interesting!
No comments:
Post a Comment