Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wanna know why they're called "squash bugs?"


...'cause if you don't SQUASH them, they'll eat your squash. Nasty little bugs. They are kind of hard to squash, too. Last year I had a zucchini plant that died after a long struggle. Once it was dead, I noticed a whole herd of these critters tromping all over the wilted remains of the plant. I just found a couple of them again on my zucchini yesterday, and I've now declared war. I found some helpful information at this website. They recommend leaving a board out next to your susceptible plants, and checking in the morning for squash bugs that have sheltered there for the night. You know what happens next... *!* They have blue guts, by the way.

6 comments:

Me... said...

Hi Amy! I'm glad Joan shared my blog link with you. Keep me as one of your blogger friends! I hope you are doing well... I'm going to miss seeing all of you now that I'm no longer teaching!!!

Amy said...

I will miss you too! I'm glad we can stay in touch. =)

Nurse Heidi said...

Squash bugs are horrid. I was just weeding around our squash plants and saw all the lovely little rows of eggs that the durn things laid on the undersides of the leaves. Grrr.

Rip Curl Mom said...

Hey Amy,
A good friend of mine also has a great method of killing squash bugs. You put your hose on a trickle and run the water down the stem of the plant that goes into the ground. The bugs come crawling up cause they don't like water. Then you grab them and snap them in half. Also, the black eggs that they lay on the under side of the leaves you grind into a powder with your fingers. If you just knock them off, they still hatch.

Rip Curl Mom said...

Hey Amy,
A good friend of mine also has a great method of killing squash bugs. You put your hose on a trickle and run the water down the stem of the plant that goes into the ground. The bugs come crawling up cause they don't like water. Then you grab them and snap them in half. Also, the black eggs that they lay on the under side of the leaves you grind into a powder with your fingers. If you just knock them off, they still hatch.

Amy said...

I'll have to try that and see how it works. Thanks!