Sunday, November 2, 2008

Student Gems

It's been a hectic month, as evidenced by all the posts I've had time to write. Friday was the end of first quarter, and my favorite kind of day--a "Quality Teaching Day" (district's term, not mine) with no students.

Each quarter, my students are assigned to hand in a paper about something they did relating to Deaf people and their culture. I enjoy reading them because of the insights I gain into their personalities, not to mention the funny mistakes they make. (I can laugh about them because I'm not their English teacher...) Here are a few from this quarter's batch:

"Well for my deaf culture experience I watched TV for like Thirty five minutes with no sound."
"Being able to hear is a gift and we shouldn't take it for granite."
"The weighter [waiter] came up to our table..."

This quarter has been a good one. It's had its bumps, but overall, I have been very impressed with my students. I think it's interesting to compare the start of the quarter to the end. There are a few students that I had pegged for being total air-heads, and I'm happy to say I was wrong. I've learned a lot, and so have they.

1 comment:

Nurse Heidi said...

Did your student really add "like" in front of Thirty? Amazing... Those are awesome. You could probably write a really excellent book by now with all the essays you read.