Well, sort of restful. It's been a busy Sunday, but nothing like the rest of the week has been. Thursday was our school district's World Language Fair. I talked Ryan into coming to help with selling food tickets. We rode down together, and then I didn't see him for the rest of the evening. My students had 6 different booths they were running, and I spent the whole evening bouncing from booth to booth, making sure everything was going okay. I wasn't sure how much participation we were going to get from the other high school ASL programs, so I decided to have each of my classes make a booth, instead of doing just one or two.


Having 6 booths going is doable, but not something I'll do again. My students sign up for shifts to run the booth, and overall I was very impressed with how they did. The hall we were in was crowded, hot and noisy, but other than that, everything went like clockwork. The most amusing part of the evening was watching a junior high school student try to pick up on one of my high school girls while we were cleaning up our booth. He was positive he had a chance, and she just pretended she was deaf and couldn't hear him. It reminded me of a similar incident when Emily was the first-aid lady at scout camp, and had a kid get on bended knee to ask for her number. Good grief!
The other major event of the week was our annual ASL competition that we put on with schools from all around the state. It's a lot of fun, and a good experience for the students. It was a heckuva long bus ride, too. The hosting school this year was in Salem, and we were barely able to squeeze all of our kids on the bus (the schools in our district shared a bus for the ride down). My students did a great job. This year was a little difficult to recruit students, because Saturday was also our school's prom. Even though we get back in the afternoon--well before the dance starts, everyone around her does the all-important "day activities" in addition to the dance. I think it's a little ridiculous, but that's just me.
I'm gearing up for the last week of the quarter. I can't believe it's almost over! I missed the first three weeks because of my sickness earlier, and the rest of it has been a blur.
No comments:
Post a Comment