Monday, June 16, 2008

An excuse for lunch

It doesn't take much to make an excuse for lunch around here (ask Ryan about Subway--the whole 12 inches story). It is nice though, when lunch, my sister and a fabulous restaurant all happen to coincide.

I had a class this morning at the DATC in Kaysville, and plans to meet the Silent Weekend director (I'm her assistant) at a location we are considering as a potential place to have our event. So, I just happened to be driving through Salt Lake at lunchtime, and met up with Emily (she happened to be free, and even wanted to hang out with me!) at the Red Butte Cafe. Yum! I stepped out on a limb and ordered something different that what I might ordinarily order--a vegetarian dish involving spaghetti squash and some other goodies that ended up being quite good. I always get orderer's remorse when I go out to eat...you know where you order something, and then spend the rest of the time watching plates go by thinking "Ooooh, that looks good. Dang!"

The location Pam and I scouted out looks promising. It's located near Salt Lake, making it more centrally situated than other places we have had the Silent Weekend. Because we have schools coming from all over, that makes a big difference. It's also a LOT cheaper than one of the venues we have used for many years, but isn't quite as posh. The biggest concern that I have is that we will have 100+ people, and no real good meeting place where everyone can gather--unless you count the soccer field-sized bit of lawn outside. We will have to eat our meals in two shifts, and will be keeping fingers crossed for good weather!!

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Well dang. If I hadn't been sleeping off my work shift, I would have come and met you. I don't need much of a reason to go to Red Butte. I'm drooling just thinking of the chocolate aztec tart!

Amy said...

Dang! I wish I had known! Next time I will check instead of assuming a trip to Salt Lake is a bit to ask at the last minute. That would have been fun to have you come.