Friday, November 28, 2008

Restful Vacation

My parents came out to visit for Thanksgiving. Ryan and I were thrilled. It's always fun to have them here, plus my dad always brings a car full of tools so he can help us with projects we have. Boy do we have projects! This is the roof to our back porch. (They started the demolition before I got home from school, so I wasn't able to get a proper "before" shot, but chunks of the fiberglass roof on our porch have been blowing off over the last few years every time we get a good storm.) Whenever the wind blows, we can hear the part of the porch roof that's still partially attached banging against the beams of the porch.

We ripped the remaining room off, and added some more support beams. We painted the top part (we'll get to the bottom half later.)

Here's a typical Dad pose--in the middle of a project, answering the phone.


I must say, I can hardly keep up with my dad and that's taking into consideration the fact that he has Parkinson's. Tuesday night, after a long day of working outside, we were all sitting around the table playing Upwords. It was obvious that Dad was tired, and his tremors were starting to really kick in. Instead of going to bed (what I would have done), he got up and started fixing the broken doorknob downstairs. He needed a project to help him feel better, and after moving around to get his tools, he had made a visible improvement.

Now that the roof is on our porch, we are waiting with baited breath for it to rain. I can't wait to see the rain/snow dripping off the edges, instead of all over the deck.

And on a completely random note... I went to yoga class today. A student of mine from last year happened to be in the same class. I figured it was only a matter of time, seeing as I also taught the daughter of one of the yoga teachers (although I had her years ago when I first started teaching). Small world.

2 comments:

Meri said...

Wow, Amy! Cool new deck roof! I'm so fond of that man!

Nurse Heidi said...

I love that picture of Dad! So classic!