In an effort to come up with a "real" application of something we learned in class, I've been looking for an opportunity for my Sign II students to sign the national anthem. The version we learn from the Signing Naturally curriculum is very good, and has come in quite handy for me on a number of formal interpreting occasions when I've had to do it for my job.
It's been a little more difficult than I thought. At the school I taught previously, we performed it one year at the start of one of (the many) assemblies. When I asked at my new school, I got a "No, we don't do that here, sorry!" Meh. Whatever. Which explains why last week when I was policing the halls during an assembly I heard someone in the auditorium signing the national anthem. I guess I didn't batt my eyes enough.
Anyway, I scheduled with the athletic director to have my kids perform at a baseball game. We were originally scheduled for last week, but the location was changed and the game got rained out. So, after much double-checking with the director on the time, I had my kids meet me at 3:10 so we could perform at 3:20. Game was scheduled for 3:30. Athletic director assured me at 3:15 that we would be on in five minutes. I had my kids all lined up ("I have to babysit at 3:30, so this better get over fast." "I have a lacrosse game at 3:30, just so you know." ) and five minutes later we were strolling out onto the field.
"Hey," the baseball couch yells, "whaddaya think you're doing?"
Umm, getting ready for the national anthem...?
"Game doesn't start for 15 minutes! Get your kids off the field!"
Grrr. Obviously not on the same page as the athletic director who told me the time. About 25 minutes later, we were finally allowed onto the field, did our piece and were done. I had a few students who were getting super antsy because they had places to be, but for the most part it went pretty well. I'm sure they will all thank me when they become interpreters and have to interpret the national anthem. Yeah, right. Wishful thinking.
On a different note, I mowed the lawn. It was just mowed Saturday, although you would never guess that. It's supposed to be a rainy few days starting tomorrow, so I figured I better get it while I can.
2 comments:
I loved your story. We had a similar experience for a basketball game this past season. I have 2 that want to be interpreters so we never know if they will be helped! Keep up the good work Amy. I love your blog!
Hi Burlene! Thanks for stopping by on my blog. =) Great minds think alike--that's neat that you did the same thing with your students.
Post a Comment