I always get a chuckle out of the SBO (student body officer) posters that get put up around the school at this time of year. I don't remember the campaigns ever being that elaborate when I was going to school. They have a special assembly where they perform skits for the student body, and I guess from that the students are able to see who has the best leadership abilities...? I'm always amazed at the things they come up with. The kid bathing in nacho cheese a few years ago takes the cake for odd skits.
I have to hand it to these kids for having the guts to plaster their faces all over the school. I don't think I had that kind of nerve when I was in high school. With the advances in technology and access to fancy printers and such, there are some kids who have larger than life sized images of themselves hanging up.
On some level, I think the SBO elections have a lot in common with real elections--people vote for the guy with the best-looking and most entertaining posters, even though they may not know a thing about what political positions he or she has, and what the duties of the office they are running for entails. The only difference is you probably won't see a slogan that reads: "He puts the STUD back in STUDent government" on someone's sign, although who knows?
4 comments:
He may also pass the STuD around the student body too. (Sorry! That's immediately where my brain went. High school and some guy thinking he's a stud... Crawling out of the gutter now.)
Maybe we should have presidential candidates perform skits on TV. The debates are usually just performances of pre-rehearsed answers anyway, and skits would be much more entertaining.
I've always been a fan of the talent show idea for presidential elections. Bill Clinton had a good talent with that saxophone. GWB had a fantastic talent for unintentionally hilarious stand-up comedy. I wonder what Obama's talent would be? Or McCain's? I think it would've been a good talent-off.
Tee hee! I didn't even make that connection, Megan.
There were a few more gems posted for the class officer elections the following week. My personal favorite was the poster hanging over the drinking fountain. "Drinks are on me! Vote for Matt."
I like the talent-off idea...During the presidential primaries, I thought at one point, it might have been more interesting to do a version of "Survivor" with the candidates. You would probably learn a lot more about their true personalities if you could watch them compete for dinner on a deserted island somewhere.
Post a Comment